Saturday, December 5, 2009

Can cemeteries be good, ever?



On thanksgiving break I travelled to New York City to visit a friend of mine who moved there. While I was planning for the trip, I was looking for interesting places to visit, different than the usuak tourist spots like Fifth Avenue, Soho and Statue of Liberty. I found a very interesting blog called Forgotten NY. In relation to our blog adn how it may relate to Forgotten Ny, I found an interesting post about suburban sprawl in Staten Island borough of NYC. According to this article, the old cemeteries of Staten Island are very valuable green spots due to rising suburban sprawl and dimininsihing green spaces. I personally have never liked cemeteries nor enjoyed being in them. However, looking from this perspective, cemeteries are public green spaces that are open to everyone, a serene oasis in the middle of suburbia or in dense urban centres, just like the Trinity Church Cemetery in the Financial District at Manhattan.




Can Amado

No comments:

Post a Comment